Episode 78: The Virtue of Pig Killing; Brandon’s talk at The Prairie Troubadour 2022 Symposium
The Virtue of Pig Killing; Brandon’s talk at The Prairie Troubadour 2022 Symposium. From sonnets to Cottage Economy, from Thomas Aquinas to selling cured meats, Brandon distills much of what we’ve been discussing over the years into this talk.
- Support our podcast on Patreon! Production of each episode takes hours of work, filming, and editing. Becoming a patron can help us keep our episode quality high and allow us to continue filming. Become a patron today at https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- This November, come to our 2-Day Goose Martinmas Harvest and celebrate the fat and meat of this most noble bird. The dates are November 10-11th, and tickets are $1,045. The class is limited to eight students to keep the hands-on experience undiluted. So jump on this chance and sign-up today! https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/product/martinmas-goose-harvest/
- Meatsmith Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- More than 45 Harvest Films by Brandon.
- Forum topics are now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Use the Newsletter Special option on our sign-up page ad apply the promo code 60daytrial at checkout. Sign-up for Meatsmith Membership at FarmsteadMeatsmith.com/product/membership/.
- Intro to how we provision our home, 2:25
- Sonnets (they relate to pig killing, we swear), 7:05
- Having to purchase meat again, 10:10
- The virtue of killing pigs, 11:20
- Cottage Economy, 11:30
- Pig hierarchy, 16:50
- Why Brandon left academia, 22:20
- clouded by emotions when killing livestock, 29:00
- Three powers of Thomas Aquinas, 39:09
- Cooking is an essential part of slaughter, 41:33
- Catching blood & blood sausage, 44:22
- Making andouille sausage, 47:33
- 100% yield from your livestock, 49:45
- Pig killing requires you to use your senses, 56:11
- Meat spoilage, 58:35
- Selling cured meat retail, 1:05:50
- Finding harmony with the natural order, 1:12:40
- Prairie Troubadour Symposium – https://prairietroubadour.org/
- Cottage Economy by William Cobbett https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/243534.Cottage_Economy
- G. K. Chesterton https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7014283.G_K_Chesterton
- Thomas Aquinas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas
Thank you, Patrons!
Ellen Bloomfield, Monica Allen, Lisa Treat, Chris Sugg, Nan Wilson, Will Eichler, Tim Jones, Dennis M Carlson, Matthew Klimczak, Don Lang, Larry Kapigian, Nate Crown, Tim Colton, Jeremy Wood, Alana Quevedo, Dekota Donnell, Philip Durso, Warren Lund, Mujahid Abdallah, Dohrman Farm
Become a Patron by going to Patreon.com/meatsmith.