In episode 67, we talk about our decision to move to Tulsa, Oklahoma. From practical things like needing more room in the home and on the farm to the spiritual necessity of being closer to Mass.
In episode 68, we talk about culture, the medieval village, the virtues of the intellect, science and First Principles, and the intelligence of farmers.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Support our podcast on Patreon! Production of each episode takes hours of work, in both filming and editing. By becoming a patron, you’ll help us keep our episode quality high and allow us to continue filming. You can find us on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- More than 45 Harvest Films by Brandon.
- Forum topics are now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial.” Use it along with the Newsletter Special option to sign up.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Charcuterie prayer and intro, 1:10
- Thee classes in November, 2:05
- 2-Day Family Lamb class November 5-6th in Husum, Washington
- 1-Day Hog Harvest class November 20th at New Woodlands Farm near Russellville, Arkansas
- 1-Day Beef Butchery Workshop November 27th, hosted by the Robina Institute in Nelson County, Virginia
- Family Pig classes in Tulsa, Oklahoma, 7:46
- Bigger butcher shop/new limitations, 9:06
- Brandon’s interests, 13:56
- Our new place, 15:51
- Eighth baby on the way, 20:08
- Our beef needs, 24:00
- What’s prompting our move, 28:18
- Wanting to be closer to the Mass, 32:49
- Risk tolerance, 43:07
- Washington State’s freedom vs. risk, 47:10
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Choosing Oklahoma, 1:00
- The moving process and Clear Creek Abby, 11:32
- Virtues of the intellect, 12:53
- Curing recipes and the intelligence of farmers, 23:38
- We’ve loved living in the PNW, 41:28
- Raising more diverse livestock, 42:40
Links for Episode 65:
- Robina Institute is hosting our Beef Butchery Workshop in Nelson County, Virginia on November 27th – https://robiniainstitute.com/complete-heritage-beef-harvest-and-butchering-workshop/
- Fall Make Do Farmstead is hosting a 2-Day Family Lamb class in Husum, Washington on November 5-6th – For registration, email or call Nicholas at email@example.com, 509.774.7035. You can find him on Instagram at @makedofarmstead.
- New Woodlands Farm is hosting a 1-Day Hog Harvest near Russellville, Arkansas on November 20th – https://newwoodlandsfarm.com/farmstead-meatsmith-2021/
- Dietrich-von-Hildebrand – http://www.hildebrandproject.org/about
- John Milton quote: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/917835-but-what-more-oft-in-nations-grown-corrupt-and-by
“But what more oft in Nations grown corrupt,
And by thir vices brought to servitude,
Than to love Bondage more than Liberty,
Bondage with ease than strenuous liberty.”