In these episodes, Brandon and Lauren discuss fasting and how fat compliments it so beautifully. They share their experiences with fasting, how it has enhanced their lives, and some of the meaning behind it. They also suggest ways that fat can be incorporated into one’s practice of fasting. In Part 2, they talk about the challenges of living in an abundant and convenient world.
In the way of side topics, Brandon shares what he has been up to on the farm; and Brandon and Lauren muse over the unique personality characteristics and culinary delights of geese.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Join one of our summer Family Pig classes! July 22-24 and Aug 5-7
- Martinmas Great Goose Class coming up this fall! More information to follow.
- New goose killing video up on our website under Membership.
- Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- Dozens of Brandon’s videos
- Forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- To Harvest a Pig Nicely is available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- Gain membership to our exclusive Facebook Meatsmith Table group and help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Brandon’s morning, 2:10
- Brining and smoking meat, 2:12
- Planting nut trees to feed animals and pigs, 3:10
- Planning a new poultry fattening house and a new goose harvest class, 6:56
- On Geese, 9:25
- Fasting and fasting with fat, 19:25
- Our experiences with fasting, 20:28
- Not all backfat is created equal, 45:12
- Ways to cure lardo, 51:04
- Other ways to incorporate fat into your fasting, 55:08
- Benefits of lardo vs. fat destined for rendering, 57:26
- Tinting lardo, 59:15
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Why else should we fast?, 1:00
- Fasting orders the year, 9:32
- Our need to set limits, 19:35
- Our place in the Pacific Northwest, 21:54
- Of discipline, not necessity, 23:00
- Of humility and fasting, 27:30
- We’re more than a pig, 32:00
- We create waste, 37:00
- We’re more than biological material, 38:45
- Fasting puts you in your place, 41:00
- Membership, 45:33
- Fasting is no joke, 46:48
- Learning to be a slaughterman, 52:33
- Value your own labor, 57:00
Links for Episode 63:
- Winston Churchill quote (a pig looks you in the eye): https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/214859-always-remember-a-cat-looks-down-on-man-a-dog
- Eat, Fast, Feast: Heal Your Body While Feeding Your Soul — A Christian Guide to Fasting by Jay W. Richards: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fast-Feast-Feeding-Christian/dp/006290521X/
- Measure for Measure by Shakespeare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measure_for_Measure
- Latin Vulgate Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgate
- Douay Rheims Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douay%E2%80%93Rheims_Bible
Links for Episode 64:
- Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky: https://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=salt&qid=1620846440&s=books&sr=1-4
- Around the Year with the Von Trapp Family by Maria Von Trapp: https://www.amazon.com/Around-Year-Von-Trapp-Family/dp/162282668X/ref=sr_1_2?
- Angelo Pellegrini, the food writer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Pellegrini
- For the Hog Killing by Wendell Berry: https://www.porkopolis.org/pig_poet/wendell-berry/
- The Catholic Gentleman blog post on fasting: https://catholicgentleman.com/2014/04/spiritual-weapons-fasting/
- Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/398834.Introduction_to_the_Devout_Life