Player for Part 2 coming soon!
In this episode, part one of a two-part series, Brandon and Lauren share the complexities of trying to deal with a broken slaughter truck … during the middle of harvest season … while living on an island … with seven kids in tow. They discuss methods of cooking a goose to reach its highest and best expression; making carnitas from previously frozen meat and sausage from cured back fat; and their parental desire to build seasonal family traditions to pass along to their children.
Brandon and Lauren also discuss the many ways you can give the gift of Farmstead Meatsmith this Christmas. There’s something for every budget!
Introduction and Announcements:
- CHRISTMAS IS COMING!
- Family Pig Classes — Fun and educational — a great gift! Registration now open for our spring 2021 classes!
- Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- New videos available on: the home birder; the home eggery; emulsified sausage; the philosophy and mechanics of killing and eating goat kids; pithing ducks; lamb tartar; and comparing curing environments.
- Forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- To Harvest a Pig Nicely is available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- FREE – Murray Carter’s Blade Sharpening Fundamentals film now available free of charge on YouTube!
- Gain membership to our exclusive Facebook Meatsmith Table group and help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Carnitas: an absolutely delicious way to use up that meat in your freezer, 4:24
- Christmas – Give the gift of Farmstead Meatsmith!, 10:19
- Goose harvest and roast, 14:14
- Fasting and feasting, 22:57
- Utilizing cured back-fat in sausage making, 26:21
- Broken slaughter truck, 30:41
- Seasonal songs, 42:28
- Cooking goose to its highest and best expression, 43:41
- Family traditions, 47:05
Part 2 Show Notes
- Coming soon!
Links for Episode 61:
- Elizabeth David: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_David
- Julia Child: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Child
Links for Episode 62:
- Coming soon!