In these episodes, Brandon and Lauren relate the complexities of trying to deal with a broken slaughter truck … during the middle of harvest season … while living on an island … with seven kids in tow. They share various methods of cooking a goose to reach its highest and best expression; how to make carnitas from previously frozen meat (and sausage from cured back fat); their fervent desire to build seasonal family traditions to pass along to their children; and considerations of various farm ‘side’ gigs.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Our spring Family Pig Classes are filling up! Just a few spots remain in our Apr 29 – May 1 class. Join us!
- Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- New videos available on: the home birder; the home eggery; emulsified sausage; the philosophy and mechanics of killing and eating goat kids; pithing ducks; lamb tartar; and comparing curing environments.
- Forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- To Harvest a Pig Nicely is available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- Gain membership to our exclusive Facebook Meatsmith Table group and help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Carnitas: an absolutely delicious way to use up that meat in your freezer, 4:24
- Christmas – Give the gift of Farmstead Meatsmith!, 10:19
- Goose harvest and roast, 14:14
- Fasting and feasting, 22:57
- Utilizing cured back-fat in sausage making, 26:21
- Broken slaughter truck, 30:41
- Seasonal songs, 42:28
- Cooking goose to its highest and best expression, 43:41
- Family traditions, 47:05
Part 2 Show Notes
- Butchery demonstration at Fort Nisqually Living History Museum, 1:05
- ‘Side’ Farming, 4:12
- pigs, 7:15
- broilers, 16:30
- unique endeavors (ie. goat kids), 17:52
- rabbits, 19:51
- beef, 20:53
- sheep, 26:15
- duck eggs, 27:28
- Other considerations
- What is your land suited to?, 28:39
- What is your locale? What are your customers looking for?, 30:44
- Vegetables, 34:43
- How our pig shares work, 39:41
- Family farming … more about quality of life than making money, 42:58
Links for Episode 61:
- Elizabeth David: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_David
- Julia Child: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Child
Links for Episode 62:
- Stella Maris Farm, Vashon, WA: https://www.stellamarisfarm.com/