In Episode 57, Brandon and Lauren discuss: Murray Carter’s Blade Sharpening Fundamentals film (now available free of charge on YouTube), Brandon’s refined method of making lower-salt bacon, the human connection to pigs and bacon, and why you need to fast to really feast.
In Episode 58 they cover: methods of cooking lean meats – barding, larding and confit; preserving (and tenderizing) a side of beef by hanging it; how it is that beef can be both dry and juicy at the same time; and how to make a deliciously tender meal from a tough cut of meat.
Introduction and Announcements:
- FREE – Murray Carter’s Blade Sharpening Fundamentals film now available free of charge on YouTube!
- FAMILY PIG CLASSES — a great Christmas gift! Registration now open for our January 2021 classes!
- To Harvest a Pig Nicely is available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- Membership is open!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- Membership forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- Gain membership to our exclusive Facebook Meatsmith Table group and help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Murray Carter’s Blade Sharpening Fundamentals film on YouTube, 2:32
- Brandon’s bacon-making refinements, 10:08
- The human connection to pigs and bacon, 23:36
- Feasting, 27:20
- Intermittent fasting, 36:48
Part 2 Show Notes
- Barding and larding lean meats (and confit), 1:28
- The key to not curing beef – hanging, 4:10
- How dry-aging tenderizes beef and makes it more juicy, 5:36
- Bacon lattice chuck roast, 15:18
- Conventional names of the back end of a beef, 23:57
- We’ve discovered Pho! Another use for our broth…, 32:02
Links for Episode 57:
- Blade Sharpening Fundamentals by Murray Carter (free online access): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3IcKUtp8U&t=54s
- Intermittent Fasting for Beginners by Jason Fung: https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
- Eat, Fast, Feast by Jay Richards: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fast-Feast-Feeding-Christian/dp/006290521X
Links for Episode 58:
- Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer by Maynard Davies: https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Traditional-Bacon-Maynard-Davies/dp/1906122083