In these episodes, Brandon and Lauren respond to the unexpected and rapid changes that the Coronavirus has thrust upon families across the world and the way that they operate on a daily basis.
As a couple that has the benefit of having both worked from home and home-educated their children for several years now, they offer their “two cents,” providing encouragement and advice. They remind us that, as parents, we have always had the role of being the primary educators of our children.
Brandon and Lauren relate the many benefits of implementing an ordered rhythm to your family’s day — one that provides balanced, but flexible, time for meals, chores, school work, quiet time, outdoor activity, and breaks; as well as the ability to slow down to “smell the roses” along the way.
They hope this episode will be helpful to you in this time of unique challenges and transition.
Introduction and Announcements:
- To Harvest a Pig Nicely is now available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- Membership is open!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- New content available on lamb tartare and cabrito
- Membership forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- Join us for one of our upcoming spring Family Pig classes!
- Help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Crisis in our lifetime, 2:27
- As a small business, 3:08
- As a homeschooling family and domestic society, 8:44
- Importance of an ordered daily rhythm, 12:55
- Seizing opportunities and staying flexible, 16:44
- Building a lot of free-time into the school day, 19:27
- Learning essential life lessons, 22:35
- Brandon’s homeschooling experience; and philosophies on home education, 24:40
- Technology, 52:08
Continued in Part 2…
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Technology as tool, not enslaver; 1:00
- Building good habits, 4:04
- self-mastery, 10:25
- Chores, 22:17
- Our school day, 24:52
- Teaching in 20-30 minute segments, 24:52
- Outdoor time, 31:41
- Self-sustainability and homeschooling as an extension of our lifestyle, 33:47
- Farmstead Meatsmith membership, 43:11
- new content on lamb tartare and cabrito
- Buying from farmstands during the Coronavirus, 45:27
- Cabrito: eating baby goats, 49:43
Links for Episode 53:
- Jane Austin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Austen
- Pizza Hut Book It! reading incentive program: https://www.bookitprogram.com/
- The Theban Plays by Sophocles: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Theban-Plays-Oedipus-Antigone-Classics&ref=nb_sb_noss
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=to+kill+a+mockingbird
- Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quo+vadis+book
- Pythagoras: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras
- John Milton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Milton
- Captain Fantastic movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/
- Mosquito Coast movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091557/
- Audible (online audio books): https://www.audible.com/
- Jim Hodges Audiobooks: https://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
- G.A. Henty books (historical fiction): https://www.amazon.com/G.-A.-Henty/e/B001ILIEAI
Links for Episode 54:
- Home Education by Charlotte Mason: https://charlottemason.com/our-books/the-original-home-schooling-series/
- Aristotle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle
- Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery by Jane Grigson: https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-French-Pork-Cookery-Grigson/dp/1902304888
- A Delectable Education podcast: http://www.adelectableeducation.com/
- Animaniacs: 50 States: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOjIjeCKbaY
- Animaniacs: US Presidents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvy0wRLD5s8
- Farmstead Meatsmith’s To Harvest a Pig Nicely video (formerly known as To Kill a Pig Nicely): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWNXpr0rU0
- Stella Maris Farm (previously known as Burton Hill Farm): https://www.stellamarisfarm.com/