In these episodes, Brandon and Lauren talk about their own kitchen principles and habits. They describe how these habits have come along slowly; but that since before they were married, and to this day, they have always cooked and eaten all three meals together as a family. They describe mealtimes as anchors to their day — “like monastery bells ringing us in”.
Learn what a typical breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack-time looks like for the family, and how they build their menu around what is seasonally available to create nutritious, economical meals for their large, growing, energetic family.
Introduction and Announcements:
- To Kill a Pig Nicely now available FREE of charge on our YouTube channel!
- Membership is open!
- 60-day free trial available! Promo code: “60daytrial”
- New content available on: lamb butchery, curing red meat, lamb curing, and lamb carpaccio!
- Membership forum topics now categorized for easy browsing!
- Join us for one of our upcoming spring Family Pig classes!
- Help us produce more episodes by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Should I butcher a young boar?, 7:47
- Our household culinary principles and habits, 12:14
- They’ve come along slowly, 16:13
- Cooking and eating together, 16:55
- Developing habit in your home culinary journey, 22:28
- Essential components of our kitchen economy, 32:16
- Breakfast, 54:32
Continued in Part 2…..
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Breakfast continued….
- butter and salt, 1:03
- Lunch, 14:22
- Dinner, 17:04
- Broth and confit, 24:11
- Fermented vegetables and “Eat All Greens” 32:24
- Cured Meat, 34:37
- Snacktime, 37:44
- Breakfast continued….
- Hospitality, 45:26
- Working with what we have on hand seasonally, 54:36
Links for Episode 49:
- Working Title Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/working-title/id1453948233 or https://neighborhood.podbean.com/e/brandon-sheard-butcher/
- Metzer Farms family hatchery – duck and chicken source: https://www.metzerfarms.com/
- Cambro food storage containers: https://www.cambro.com/
- CHEMEX coffee maker: https://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/
- The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times by Carol Deppe: https://www.amazon.com/Resilient-Gardener-Production-Self-Reliance-Uncertain/dp/160358031X
Links for Episode 50:
- Caol Deppe “Eat all Greens”