In these episodes Brandon and Lauren discuss holiday meal topics of all kinds focusing mainly on roasting a pig’s head. We also discuss head cheese, lard, lardo, roasting a whole piglet, and more!
*** We apologize for the sound quality; we had technical issues and salvaged what we could. Thank you for listening.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming fall classes!
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Rescuing pancettas from the smoker, 00:00 – 4:00
- How do I pre-cook a whole country ham? 4:00 – 13:07
- The Boar’s Head Carol and roasting a pig’s head, 13:20
- Stuffing it with sausage? 35:14
- Our approach to side-dishes, 39:44
- Roasting a pig’s head without the cheeks, 42:48
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Making headcheese without the cheeks… Is it worth it?, 1:00
- Removing lead bullets from the head, 9:29
- Roasting a whole piglet, 11:57
- To shoot or stick? 17:41
- “Odd bits” side dishes, 19:57
- Leaf lard – how to render to remove smell, 27:58
- Curing lardo, 31:30
- How we’re preparing our Thanksgiving ducks, 39:13
Links for Episodes 20 + 21:
- The Boar’s Head Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pj5BnQlMCk
- Winston Churchill quote on pigs: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/winston_churchill_161474
- Westland Distillery: https://www.westlanddistillery.com
- Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery, by Jane Grigson: https://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-French-Pork-Cookery-Grigson/dp/1902304888/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543432360&sr=8-3&keywords=jane+grigson
- Burton Hill Farm, Vashon Island: http://burtonhillfarm.com