In episode 81, we recap our Fall harvest season, all the classes we taught, fasting for advent and feasting over Christmas, preserving and losing meat, our upcoming beef and lamb classes, and a bit on raising rabbits.
In episode 82, In this episode we chat about community, its different forms, positives and negatives, its lack of definition, its function in ideology, and what it offers. We compare it to society, how the family is the essential unit of society, and the grace family provides to a community.
- Support our podcast on Patreon! Production of each episode takes hours of work, filming, and editing. Becoming a patron can help us keep our episode quality high and allow us to continue filming. Become a patron today at https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- Come to our 3-Day Family Lamb Harvest class this June and use your hands to turn four lambs into kitchen-sized lamb cuts, sausage, and charcuterie. The dates are June 8th-10th, and tickets are $1,390. The class is limited to eight students to keep the hands-on experience undiluted. So jump on this chance and sign-up today! https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/product/martinmas-goose-harvest/
- Meatsmith Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- More than 45 Harvest Films by Brandon.
- Forum topics are now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Use the Newsletter Special option on our sign-up page ad apply the promo code 60daytrial at checkout. Sign-up for Meatsmith Membership at FarmsteadMeatsmith.com/product/membership/.
Topics for Episode 81:
- Can you visit the farmstead?, 2:40
- Limping through our busy season and Christmas, 5:50
- Burdened by the abundance of the harvest season, the obligation of feasting, and advent, 8:00
- Efficient means of dealing with the EPIC quantities of meat, 17:40
- Losing meat, 20:00
- Blood bread, 22:45
- Our 2-day BEEF class that focuses on cookery, 32:00
- 3-Day LAMB Harvest class, 37:12
- Raising rabbits, 45:45
Topics for Episode 82:
- Meatsmith is a social business, 1:01
- Question from a fellow meatsmith, 3:15
- How big of a factor does community play, 6:10
- The communities we’ve been in, 9:05
- Criticism of ‘community,’ 14:30
- How community functions in ideology, 17:47
- Community is a ‘talismanic’ word, 21:44
- Feeling isolated as a farmer, 29:45
- What does society offer the family?, 31:19
- Society prevents isolationism, 32:05
- Rugged, individualist, perseverance; 33:03
- The family is the essential unit of society, 35:33
- You don’t get grace through community, 39:00
- Sacramental marriage, 39:13
- The temporal order cannot survive on its own terms, 41:11
- Community gets that kind of grace from the family, 43:35
- The natural virtue of Patria, 43:55
- Duties to society, 45:00
- Sharing spiritual goods vs. material goods, 48:40
- What is a common good?, 49:44
Links for Episode 81:
- The Nordic Cookbook by Magnus Nilsson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25208269-the-nordic-cookbook
- Our upcoming classes https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/upcoming-classes/
Links for Episode 82:
- Talismanic Words and the Anti-Church Agenda https://onepeterfive.com/talismanic-words-anti-church-agenda/
- Father Thomas Crean, Integralism & the Common Good of https://youtu.be/ZDrxRaFI55E
- Tradition, Family, and Property (founder Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira) https://www.tfp.org/tradition-family-and-property/. Recommended article: What is Organic Society? https://www.traditioninaction.org/OrganicSociety/A_002_OrganicSociety_PCO.htm
- Tradition in Action https://traditioninaction.org
Thank you, Patrons!
Ellen Bloomfield, Monica Allen, Lisa Treat, Chris Sugg, Nan Wilson, Will Eichler, Tim Jones, Dennis M Carlson, Matthew Klimczak, Don Lang, Larry Kapigian, Nate Crown, Tim Colton, Jeremy Wood, Alana Quevedo, Dekota Donnell, Philip Durso, Warren Lund, Mujahid Abdallah, Dohrman Farm, Ps42, Danielle, Alan Fortini-Campbell
Become a Patron by going to Patreon.com/meatsmith.