In this episode, Brandon talks with Daniel Firth Griffith of the Robinia Institute in The Conversationalist Webinar Series. The topics discussed range from descaling agriculture to Aristotle.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Support our podcast on Patreon! Production of each episode takes hours of work, filming, and editing. By becoming a patron, you will help us keep our episode quality high and allow us to continue filming. You can find us on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- Family Pig classes are happening in the Fall on Sept 29th-Oct 1st, Oct 13-15th, and October 27-29th. Our classes make incredible gifts for anyone interested in the whole processing narrative. From the kill to butchery to cookery, the experience gained at Family Pig is unparalleled.
- Membership — a gift that gives all year long!
- More than 45 Harvest Films by Brandon.
- Forum topics are now categorized for easy browsing!
- 60-day free trial available! Use the Newsletter Special option on our sign-up page ad apply the promo code 60daytrial at checkout.
- Our move to Oklahoma, 1:39
- Intro to The Conversationalist Webinar Series, 7:07
- Pursuing a philosophical goal, 12:09
- Regionally specific habits, 23:17
- The PNW has no ham curing traditions, 25:56
- Descaling agriculture, 29:55
- The high demand for butchery in every state, 38:10
- Transparency of slaughter, 43:10
- What does it mean to be a good slaughterman, 47:18
- Liberating the harvest, 55:23
- Descaling all the way back to the family farm, 57:07
- Carry all the responsibility yourself vs. dependence, 1:00:00
- Where can people learn more about harvesting livestock, 1:03:18
- Yearn for tradition in building, etc, 1:06:28
- Forming dependence, 1:15:08
Links for Episode 69:
- Robinia Institute – The Conversationalist webinar series https://robiniainstitute.com/the-conversationalist-webinar-series/
- Wendell Berry quote from Nature as Measure https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9809187-nature-as-measure
“An agriculture using nature…as its measure would approach the world in the manner of a conversationalist. It would not impose its vision and its demands upon a world that it conceives of as a stockpile of raw materials. …Now we must think of marriage.”
- Rene Descartes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes
- Aristotle https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9438.The_Basic_Works_of_Aristotle
- Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16619.Democracy_in_America