In this episode, Brandon and Lauren talk about not only the process of killing a pig – the challenges, techniques, and tools – but also the philosophy behind the practices they use to slaughter an animal peacefully and effectively. Learn why pigs are so hard to kill (and therefore why your tools and trajectory are so important), hear Brandon tell some stories of pigs he has missed, and why you should keep pigs with their herd up until the end.
Introduction and Announcements:
- We continue to ramp up podcast and video production!
- Support us in two ways:
- Upcoming fall classes here on Vashon and in Minnesota.
- Why it’s important to get pig slaughter right 17:00
- Pigs are some of the most challenging livestock to kill, so your tools and trajectory are important 25:00
- What has happened when Branden has missed pigs 32:15
- Keep them with their herd 48:00
- What to do after the first shot 54:50
- This is not the time to be macho or casual 1:02:00
- Slaughter is a huge part of human history and culture 1:20:30