Brandon and Lauren discuss whole animal spit roasting over open fire. They talk about the cardinal rules (don’t use a thermometer, don’t have a deadline, low and slow and look for meat falling off the bone), how to take care of yourself, wood selection, and how you determine doneness…when it’s done.
They talk about how they learned their methods over years of trial and error, but show recent resources they’ve found that can be helpful in speeding up your learning curve.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Podcast year 2 commences.
- Film production beginning this summer…
- To that end, WE’RE HIRING! Please see links below if you or someone you trust is interested in a Content and Media position with us.
- Ramping up podcast production to 1/ week soon!
- We’re developing new branches of our online education…Support us in two ways:
- Patreon support will help us expand: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith. We really, really, mean it this time; we want you to join our team and mission.
- Membership is open!! Join us. A full year of content is there. Registration is open through mid-August.
- Harvest Journal Film sample below…
- Upcoming fall classes here on Vashon and in Minnesota.
- How we entered the world of barbecue. 16:30
- The whole point of fire-roasting whole animals: 26:20
- Four rules: No thermometer, no deadline, LOW AND SLOW, & look for meat falling off the bone.
- How Lauren makes her flatbread: 48:00
- Making a sauce: 56:56
- So what’s the recipe for cooking a whole carcass?: 1:00:40
- Wood selection and characteristics: 1:13:25
- Further Resources: 1:22:05
Links for Episode 13
-Content and Media Director Job Description: http://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Content-and-Media-Director-Job-Description3.pdf
-Spit roasting apparatus source: https://www.heritagebackyard.com
-Our first whole animal spit roast:
-Tartine Bread book for flat bread: https://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Bread-Chad-Robertson/dp/0811870413/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532633436&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tartine+bread&psc=1
-Seven Fires book: https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Fires-Grilling-Argentine-Way/dp/1579653545/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532633475&sr=1-1&keywords=seven+fires
–Todo Sobre el Asado: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6079360/