In Episode 26, Lauren and Brandon discuss fundamental principles to adhere to in the lead-up to a kill. They describe how to avoid a chase, and how to maintain a calm herd when cornering a sheep or goat. They also explain the mechanisms for bringing down and subduing a ruminant.
In Episode 27, Brandon and Lauren discuss the need to be decisive and aggressive when killing an animal to protect its dignity and show mercy. They explain how a sharp knife is critical in making this happen. Other topics covered are: the intimacy of killing an animal with a knife, how to make the cut and manage the animal as it is dying, collecting blood for blood sausage, working with the animal’s nature throughout the kill, and whether a knife or gun is the best tool to use.
And finally, for those that have been asking…..information on Brandon’s gambrel, and where you can purchase your own.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming fall classes!
Part 1 Show Notes:
- Christmastide, 1:01
- Feasting….Even when you don’t like the bacon! 3:10
- Fundamental principles of the lead-up to the kill, 40:28
- Taking down and subduing a ruminant, 1:09:21
Part 2 Show Notes:
- Be decisive and aggressive….out of mercy and to preserve the dignity of the animal, 1:00
- “Be at the service of the sheep”- managing your feelings of reticence during the kill, 2:53
- The kill, 10:40
- Knife or gun?, 11:10
- Use a “crazy-sharp knife”! 15:28
- How to make the cut, and the need to hold on to the sheep after delivering the kill, 18:38
- Collecting blood for blood sausage, 31:48
- Snapping the neck and nicking the spinal cord, 32:18
- Brandon’s gambrel, 38:11
- The intimacy of killing an animal with a knife, and honoring the animal’s nature throughout the kill, 43:20
Links for Episodes 26 + 27:
- William Cobbett quote on “sweet sauce of labour”: found here
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=A+Christmas+Carol
- Captain Fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=captain+fantastic
- Winston Churchill quote on pigs: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/winston_churchill_161474
- Murray Carter knife sharpening dvd’s: https://www.cartercutlery.com/product-category/videos-and-books/
- Abraham Lincoln quote on sharpening his axe: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/abraham_lincoln_109275
- Super-duty Hog/Beef Gambrel: http://meathookus.com/
- “The pigness of the pig” quote by Joel Salatin: found here
- Farmstead Meatsmith pork shares: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/pork-shares/
- Farmstead Meatsmith memberships: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/membership/
- Farmstead Meatsmith Family Pig classes: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/upcoming-classes/