In these episodes Brandon and Lauren discuss smoking. They explain its spiritual and cultural importance among traditional societies, its critical role as a pre-refrigeration meat preservation technique, and its incredible ability to enhance the flavor of any meat.
They also discuss: brining as preparation for smoking, utilizing wood as a fuel source, the difference between hot and cold smoking, why blue smoke is preferable to white, special considerations for smoking sausage, and why smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand.
Finally, Brandon discusses the design of his smokehouse and why he loves his Weber grill.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming fall classes!
Part 1 Show Notes:
- The burden of abundance, and pondering the history of pigs in the Pacific Northwest, 1:44
- Utilitarian function of smoking, 8:00
- Smoking as: a component of culture, a flavor enhancer, and a bridge to the divine, 11:30
- Curing/brining meat before smoking, 26:22
- Difference between hot and cold smoking, 33:15
- Our smoker, 38:50
- White vs. blue smoke, 44:10
Part 2 Show Notes:
- How to build a fire for smoking, 1:02
- Home-made smokers vs. ready-made domesticated options (Why your smoker should be like ours), 5:16
- Traditional English smokehouses, 12:33
- Preservational brines and how to reverse their saltiness through cooking, 20:43
- Jane Grigson brine recipe, 21:24
- Molasses-heavy brine we used for our Christmas ham (taken from thesaltcuredpig.com), 25:13
- Smoking sausage, 33:16
- Wood as fuel for smoking, 43:35
- Farmstead Meatsmith pork shares, 51:28
Links for Episodes 24 & 25:
- Tales from the Green Valley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Green_Valley
- Weber Grills: https://www.weber.com/US/en/home/
- Manual of a Traditional Curer by Maynard Davies: https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Traditional-Bacon-Maynard-Davies/dp/1906122083
- BNZLpd.com (netting): http://bunzlpd.com/
- The Salt Cured Pig (molasses-heavy brine recipe): http://thesaltcuredpig.com/
- The River Cottage Curing and Smoking Handbook, by Steven Lamb: https://www.amazon.com/River-Cottage-Curing-Smoking-Handbook/dp/1607747871/
- Culinaria France: A celebration of Food and Tradition by Andre Domine: https://www.amazon.com/Culinaria-France-Celebration-Food-Tradition/dp/3848008173/
- Farmstead Meatsmith pork shares: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/pork-shares/
- Farmstead Meatsmith memberships: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/membership/
- Farmstead Meatsmith Family Pig classes: https://farmsteadmeatsmith.com/upcoming-classes/