In this two part episode, Brandon and Lauren are talking about hunting and preparing deer. Brandon talks through deer processing and talks about that “gamey” flavor everyone uses when talking about venison. He and Lauren also discuss the culinary challenges of venison and how they bring more fat into the preparation of such a lean meat.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming fall classes!
Part 1 Show Notes:
- How entire families can enjoy hunting 11:30
- Brandon takes us through deer processing 18:20
- Where does that gamey flavor come from 32:00
- Another trick to skinning deer 38:50
- How to tell how old an animal is 49:00
Part 2 Show Notes:
- The culinary challenges of deer and how we use it 1:00
- The genius of brining the meat 12:50
- Another way to embrace the leanness of venison: cooking it rare 16:10
- Why you have to be willing to try something new 17:30
- Wild animals versus domesticated animals 28:50
- The very human act of hunting 31:40
- The rite of passage of the hunt and how we help people do it for the first time 45:00